The Parishes of St. John the Evangelist, Chesterton & St. Wulstan’s, Wolstanton
The Parishes of St. John the Evangelist, Chesterton & St. Wulstan’s, Wolstanton
St. John the Evangelist Catholic Church – Chesterton
At St. John’s, you’ll be welcomed into a diverse, inclusive, and generous congregation where community and fellowship thrive. Sunday Mass is well attended, and the joyful hymn singing echoes the sentiment of St. Augustine:
“He who sings, prays twice.”
After Sunday Mass, parishioners gather in the adjoining Parish Hall for refreshments. Once a month, the hall hosts a friendly fundraiser featuring home-made crafts, jams, and scones. St. John’s is currently served by Fr. John Waters, based at St. Wulstan’s in Wolstanton.
✝️ Historical Timeline of St. John the Evangelist
- c. 1900: According to local tradition, Mass was first celebrated in a miners’ hostel in Chesterton.
- 1923: A Mass centre opened in a hut on Liverpool Road, managed by clergy from Holy Trinity.
- 1926: A new chapel dedicated to St. John the Evangelist opened in a hall on Castle Street.
- 1948: Fr. Vincent Charles Lucas became the first resident priest.
- 1950: Fr. Tim Cronin was appointed and described the original church as “a wreck of a building.”
- 1956: Castle Street church became unsafe. Permission was granted to build a new hall and presbytery on Loomer Road. Cost: £11,000.
- 1977–1978: A new purpose-built church was constructed next to the Parish Centre.
- November 1, 1978: The church was blessed by Archbishop Dwyer on All Saints’ Day.
- 1980–2011: Served by several dedicated priests including Fr. Kemp, Clancy, Brown, Breslin, and Canon David Goodwin.
- 2012–Present: Now served jointly with St. Wulstan’s by Frs. Dykes, Davies, Chukka, and currently, Fr. Michael Miners.
🏛️ Architecture of St. John’s Church
Built between 1977–1978, the church is a polygonal red-brick structure with tall windows and a pyramid-style fibreglass spire. It connects directly to the presbytery and features:
- Exposed laminated timber trusses
- Wood-panelled sanctuary wall
- Decorative ceiling boss added by Fr. Breslin
- No significant historical fixtures, but designed with warm functionality and simplicity
📍 St. Wulstan’s Catholic Church – Wolstanton
Catholics in the Wolstanton area can trace their roots back to the 1880s, gathering in various houses and venues before establishing a permanent church.
- 1958: The foundation stone of St. Wulstan’s Church was laid, shortly after the local school opened.
- Late 1950s–1960s: A Lady Chapel and pipe organ were added.
- 1969: The church was consecrated by Bishop Cleary.
- 2004: Parishes of Wolstanton, Chesterton, and Knutton were officially amalgamated, fostering closer collaboration across communities.
🎶 Community and Ministries at St. Wulstan’s
St. Wulstan’s is known for its rich parish life and has supported a variety of faith-building groups, including:
- RCIA (since 1985) – for those joining or deepening their Catholic faith
- CAFOD & Women’s League (since 1987) – supporting global development and local service
- Parish Choir (re-established in 1994) – led by Dave West, enhanced by a new organ
The church continues to be a place of welcome, spirituality, and service under the current leadership of Fr. Michael Miners OCDS.
👤 List of Past Parish Priests
St. Wulstan’s, Wolstanton
| Parish Priest | Years Served |
|---|---|
| Fr. McCabe | 1958–1975 |
| Fr. Frank Carr | 1975–1984 |
| Canon Matthias Corrigan | 1984–1998 |
| Fr. Anthony Davies | 1998–2017 |
| Fr. Tony Rohan | 1999–2001 |
| Fr. Anthony Dykes | 2001–2017 |
| Fr. Dominic Chukka | 2017–2021 |
| Fr. Michael Miners | 2021–2025 |
If you would like to learn more about the parish history or discover how to get more involved in parish life, please don’t hesitate to speak to Fr. John Watersl or a member of the Parish Team.
